Pages

Thursday 13 March 2014

1.72 Confronting the past


Jake and Kay were enjoying some quality time when Kirsten burst in, “Jakey, you need to find Andy.” 



Kay moved out of the way as Jake looked concerned at his sister’s panicked state, “What’s happened?”
Getting to the point, "Andy has found out that his real father is alive.”
“Kirsten his parents are dead.”



“I know we all thought that but in the trunk I found, Andy found there was an original birth certificate in there. The Dad he thought was his father is actually his step-dad. He took it badly and took off.”
“Shit. I’ll find him sis and let you know ok.” Jake rushed off to find Andrew and Kay asked Kirsten, “Do you want me to stay with you?”



“It’s ok Hazel is going to sit with me and besides aren’t you seeing Spencer today? Have you decided what you are going to do yet?” Kay nodded and said, “If you need me call and I’ll see you later.”
Andrew was at the bar when Jake sat next to him, “Spill.”



“Did you know my Dad is alive? Oh yes apparently my real surname isn’t Morgan its Reid. Basically my whole life is a lie.”
“And, don’t be like this…”
“Why the fuck not? My Granddad kept my parent apart, forced my Mum into marrying a guy she didn’t love but he loved me. I come from a bad family Jake, I can’t let Kirsten be a part of that…”
Jake was getting angry, “What are you saying exactly?”
“I need to cancel the wedding.” 
Jake saw red and punched his best friend and shouted, “My sister is worried sick about you and you want to cancel the wedding.” They started fighting like they never had before and were thrown out of the bar. 



As they continued the fight a solider saw what was happening and reported the incident. Andrew being in full uniform and fighting outside the base was frowned upon. 



Suddenly the best friends were being pulled apart, “What the hell is going on? Corporal Morgan, you should know better,” Colonel Reid asked.



Jake looked at the pair and couldn’t believe how alike they were and Andrew turned around and said in a drunken slur, “Should I know better SIR. Why don’t you shut up?” Colonel Reid was about to yell when Jake said, “Sir don’t you don’t understand.”
“Then enlighten me,” as he gestured for Jake to tell him his name.
“I’m Jake sir and he is my best friend. We were fighting because he wants to cancel his wedding to my sister…” Jake was interrupted and asked, “Why?”
“He thinks he comes from a bad family. Is your surname Reid?”
“It is but why do you ask?” 



Jake thought for a moment and seeing Andrew now passed out he took his chance, “He found out today when looking through a trunk is real surname is Reid and not Morgan. Just so you know you do look alike.” Colonel Reid was now in shock but acted quickly, “Alex.”



Alex came over and said, “He knows doesn’t he?” Colonel Reid looked at his friend and Alex added, “I’ll make sure this goes down as a misunderstanding and inform the base so they will protect Andrew. Now this is your chance to tell your story and be the Dad you’ve always wanted.”
“Ok,” he looked at Jake and said, “Let’s get him home and he’s not cancelling any wedding, we both know he loves your sister.”



Kirsten was in a panic as she saw Andrew being laid on the bed, “What happened? Who are you?” He looked at her and replied, “My name is Andrew Reid.” She looked him in the eye and with a harsh tone said, “Get out. It’s because of you my fiancé is in this state. What is it with army guys, think they can have any girl they want and leave them to pick up the pieces.” Andrew now feeling rejected was by the door when Jake shouted, “Stop don’t move and Kirsten you don’t know the full story.”



In the kitchen, Kirsten looked at Andrew and said, “Well aren't you going to say something then?”
“I want Andrew to stay in the army…” Kirsten yelled, “This isn't about the army this is about a son you’ve never spent time with.”



Andrew said firmly, “I wasn’t allowed near my girl or my son because his Granddad went nuts when Louise told him she was pregnant. I wanted to marry her and raise our son together but John told me, my son was a Morgan not a Reid. So before you judge me know your facts.” 



He lowered his voice, “I didn’t want him to find out like this and Kirsten you are perfect for him. Every time he comes into the office I hide my pictures, I sent him birthday and Christmas cards among other things when he was small but after about 2 years, I was sent a legal letter prohibiting me to do this.”



Jake asked, “How are you and Andy going to sort this out?”
“Right now I have no idea.”



In the morning Andrew lay on the bed with a really bad head, “I feel like shit but I need to lie still.” The door opened and Andrew said, “Kirst, can you make me a strong coffee my head is killing me.”
“Kirsten has gone out but I made you coffee, it cures the best of hangovers.” When Andrew looked over he saw his Dad standing there. 



He suddenly forgot he had a bad head and quickly got up and said, “Get out of my house.”
“No. We need to talk; Jake told me why you were fighting so it’s time we talked.”
“My life is no concern of yours and I’m leaving the army.” The look of disappointment on his Dad’s face was obvious, “I know your angry but please hear me out.”
“Colonel, what’s done is done, you can’t change the past. The only regret I have is saying I wouldn’t marry Kirsten, she will never know I said that because I am marrying her. Please leave.”



He got to the door but turned back to face his son, “I just want you to know I loved your Mum and no one has ever taken her place. In the room across the hall was your Mum’s old room and the pictures I hid from you are in there. I always loved you and wished I’d raised you with her. One day I hope you understand. I’m glad she gave you my surname at least for Louise it was an act of defiance against your Granddad for what he was doing to us as a family.”



Over the next few days Andrew walked past his Mother’s room but wouldn’t go in, “Babe, just have a look.” Andrew snapped at her and Kirsten burst into tears and ran into the bedroom. 



He heard Jake say, “You are an ass, my sister loves you and I know you love her but you are taking it out on the wrong person.”
“I love her but I’m all over the place.” 



Jake pushed him into the bedroom so he was confronted by the pictures his father had left for him to look at. Andrew knelt in front of them and said, “My Mum is smiling, she looked so happy.”



Jake stood back and said, “They both seem very much in love. It reminds me of you and Kirsten. Do you remember when my Dad was an ass and tried to stop Kirsten seeing you? The pair of you stood your ground and you are happy but your Mum wasn’t so luck and neither was your Dad.” Jake opened the door to walk out and said, “All I’m saying And is hear the guy out before you condemn him and say sorry to my sister too.”

6 comments:

  1. Jake should have pummeled Andrew a bit. I am so violent! :(
    I really expected something different from Andrew, but he resorted to self pity and anger without knowing anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zhippidy,

      Jake should have knocked him out I agree but I think he was also thinking of Kirsten here. Andrew is confused but hopefully he will pull himself together soon.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  2. I can't help but feel sorry for Kristen in this too, Andrew seems to be taking it hard yes, but then he just resorted to being a little selfish about it all. But that's me, I hope he does what Jake says, or maybe Jake can punch him out again, ROFL, sorry... had to :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivorybutterfly,

      Kirsten wants to help but Andrew took it out on her. He is being a bit selfish but he is confused at the same time. I hope Andrew speaks to Kirsten and straighten things out and with his Dad of just for you I'll get Jake to punch him again :)

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  3. So much angst in this update! I know I shouldn't have, but I really enjoyed the fight, nothing better than a good ol' brawl to get the blood pumping again. Andrew needs to come out his cloud of dick despair and focus on what's important, his relationship with Kirsten. He needs to man up and stop the pity party, he's in the army for Christ's sake. Balls Up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope they can find a way to work things out. They should as soon as Andrew gets his head out of his ass.

    ReplyDelete