Pages

Sunday 30 March 2014

1.73 Moving forward


“Are you sure?” Spencer asked. Kay looked at both of them and said, “Yes I am. I know I’m officially your daughter now but I’m used to my surname.”
Spencer smiled and replied, “Then I’m ok with it. There is something else though, am I right?”



Kay bit her lip and hesitated for a moment then said, “I’m returning to university. I’m sick of counselling and want to get on with my life and not to be scared anymore but Tracy I know you are having the baby in a few months but you with be ok, right?”


“Hunny, I’m just glad you are going back and this little one in here will be fine. After all, your Dad will keep an eye on me. Have you told Jake the news that you are going back?” Kay looked at them both and quietly shook her head. Spencer calmly voiced, “You will have to tell him but I’m proud you are going back.”
“I will come home when the baby is born.”
Tracy smiled and said, “I hope so because this baby will need to meet their big sister.”


Jake was waiting for Kay at the coffeehouse and had a beaming smile when she sat at the table opposite him. He held her hand and said, “It’s nice to see you so happy.” Kay squeezed his hand tighter and replied, “I am and it’s because of my friends, family and you. There is no easy way to say this Jake so I’ll just say it. I’m going back to university.” 


Jake just looked at Kay and stayed silent for a minute or two then said firmly, “No you can’t. I’m sorry Kay but I’d be worried sick.” 


Kay got out of her seat and stayed silent as she walked to walk out of the coffeehouse and Jake ran after her and shouted, “Kay wait.” She stopped and turned to faced him and replied, “What!”
“How long will you have left for the year?”
“Six months and then I’m home for 3 months.” Jake took a deep breath and said, “I’m coming down every week…” 


Kay could see Jake was making an effort after his initial outburst and wrapped her arms around him planting a kiss on his cheek and said, “Baby, I’ll be fine and I will look forward to seeing you every weekend.”


Andrew decided to stay in the army but every time his Dad wanted to talk to him Andrew would change the subject. Kirsten had also tried to talk to Andrew but he didn’t want to know about his Dad or what he had to say so Kirsten put her energies back into the wedding. 


She tried on many dresses over the next few months and even when Kay and Hazel were home and said they loved the dress Kirsten would change her mind saying it was totally wrong. Laura surprised Kirsten by showing up at the house when she was trying on a new dress and when Kirsten heard from her Mum, “That is a beautiful dress on you sweetheart.” 


Kirsten turned around and hugged her Mum hard and when she finally let go she replied, “This is the dress.”
“Anything new happen while I’ve been away?” Kirsten looked at her Mum and proceeded to tell her about Andrew finding out his real Dad was alive.
“Andrew works with his Dad?”


“Mum, what do I do?” Laura looked at the worry on Kirsten’s face and said, “Don’t push the issue just be there when Andrew is ready to talk about it.”


Alex was training Andrew and asked, “Ready for your big day?” Andrew kept pushing himself as he replied, “I can’t wait. Kirsten has organised most of it but I arranged the honeymoon.”
Alex smiled and asked, “Any sleep involved?”
“I doubt that but I won’t be complaining.”


“Andrew take a break,” Andrew stood up and stretched for a moment when Alex asked, “When are you going to talk to your Dad?” Andrew stayed quiet and Alex pushed further, “I’ve know your Dad since he joined the army and trust me when I say that when he saw your Mum that was it. You can’t continue the silent treatment between you. It’s been almost six months. Did you know he approached you when you were a toddler and the smile he got from you made his day but when your step father noticed who you were talking too he pulled you away. It was like you knew because you looked sad. He wants to know his son give him that chance, please.”


“Did he ask you to talk to me?”
“He is a very proud man. He sold the house he had bought to raise you with your Mum and decided to live on the base.”
“What! How long?”
“When Louise was taken away while pregnant with you, a few months after that and has lived on the base ever since. You are the only thing left in his life that means anything. Andrew just wants to know you.”


It took another week before Andrew asked his Dad to the house and when he arrived he asked, “Andrew what is this about because if it’s work it can wait?” Andrew stared at him for a brief moment and said, “I want to know what happened between you and Mum?”
“I suggest we sit down because it’s going to be a long night.”



“I met your Mum in this very house. Your Grandfather had just left the army and had only been living here for 6 months when he invited us here. I have to admit I was bored so when I heard a noise I had to investigate. At first your Mum was nervous but she soon felt comfortable and then we got to know each other.” Andrew just listened as his father told his story; as Jake was right hear him out before you condemn him. “At first we tried to take things slow but after a while it was very clear to us that we wanted nothing more than to be together. The morning we woke up after we had spent the night together, we discussed me leaving the army and making a life together. When I asked what the rush was, she looked at me and said that we were having you. I was shocked at first but I wasn’t upset, you see Andrew I just knew that all I needed was your Mum and you.” Suddenly he looked at the floor trying not to lose his temper but Andrew could hear by his father’s tone he was angry when he added, “I was a man madly in love, and I was excited at thought of becoming a married man and at being a Dad. I loved your Mum’s enthusiasm as she was already planning your brothers and sisters but then your Grandfather interfered in our life and because of his greed he forced your Mum into something she didn’t want. I tried to stand up to him but it fell on deaf ears. Looking back I should have fort harder for your Mum and us but I didn’t. I let her down but most of all I let you down. You grew up thinking that your step father was your Dad when he was nothing but a thug. Anyway that is my explanation. I will leave now as it’s getting late.”


Andrew watched his Dad turn to walk away and finally said, “Say your peace and walk away and leave me.”
He turned back and replied, “I just thought…” Andrew interrupted him and said firmly, “I have listened to you now listen to what I have to say.” 


Andrew sat back down and listened to his son. “I always thought Mum was happy but when you look at the pictures again she was really miserable. The only pictures she ever had a smile on her face was when it was a picture of her and me. Especially when I was little and she kissed my cheek, how I hated that at the time but have to be honest now I love them. The man, who I thought was my Dad, treated her like shit and I always swore that I would grow up to be better than him. The man I loved and thought of as my hero was really the one who made my Mum miserable because he split my real parents apart. I’m angry at you because we worked together in the army all these years and you never told me, if Kirsten hadn’t found the trunk I’d never have known the truth.”
“Andrew, I should have told you sooner but I didn’t want to tell you without proof because I didn’t think you’d believe me.”


“Yes that is true I wouldn’t have believed you but I do now. However I want to clear a few more things up. Did you sell the family home that you bought for us to live in and now live at the base?”
Andrew stared at his son, “I get it, Alex has been talking to you? Yes it is true, my office is my bedroom too…well I say bedroom more like the sofa is my bed.”
Andrew stopped his father and said, “I want you to move in here…” Andrew was in shock at his son’s gesture but replied, “This house has some wonderful memories but it also has some bad ones too. The front door was where he kicked me out after I begged him to let me marry your Mum and I watched as she cried her heart out begging for him to change his mind.” Andrew knelt down and quietly said, “Dad, let’s make new memories. Mum would want that.”
“Your Mum would love that but your fiancée might want a say in this.” 
Kirsten had been listening at the top of the stairs to the conversation. She knew she shouldn’t have but she was worried about Andrew. He had apologised to her but he was still distant and Kirsten knew it was because of this but now they were clearing the air, Andrew would be his old adorable self and Kirsten would have him back. 


She came down the stairs and said, “I would love you to stay here with us. You could have Louise’s old room.” Andrew’s face lit up when she offered to let him stay, “Kirsten you don’t have to say yes just to please my son.”
“I know I don’t but I want you to stay because it will give you both a chance to get to really know each other.”
“I really don’t know what to say…” Kirsten added, “Just say yes because I spent the last few days getting the room ready in the hope Andrew would want you to stay. Andrew will show you the room.”


They were both taken aback at the hard work Kirsten had put in to the room. “Kirsten did a great job and look, the picture of your Mum next to the bed.”
“Dad, have a good night’s sleep and we will talk in the morning, I mean later today.” Andrew was about to shut the door when his Dad said, “Night son.”


Andrew found Kirsten in the bedroom and he wrapped his arms around her and said, “You are an amazing woman thank you for letting him stay and for being there when I was being an ass.” 


She looked into his eyes, “I was upset but only because I knew you were hurting. Now kiss me so I don’t forget why I’m marrying you.” 

4 comments:

  1. Always gripped by your chapters, and I loved the dress she chose, mothers always bring out the bet in girls sometimes :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of change. All good. Hopefully there won't be interference and they can all have a fresh start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jake mad me a little mad in this update. I get that he's worried about Kay, but he seems awfully clingy, she has a life and she has her studies to get back to. I'm glad though their fight didn't escalate further and they were able to resolve it. And it's also good to see Andrew trying with his dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. To be brutally honest, I don't know if I'd want a parent to stay, especially one that they didn't know well. Yeah, Andrew had known him through work, but obviously he didn't know him that well. I'm being overly-cautious, maybe, to some, but that's my opinion.

    For Andrew, that's good that she's so willing to do that, and I hope he and his real dad can get some good memories.

    ReplyDelete