Pages

Wednesday 7 May 2014

1.77 Shocking News

A few months later

Kay was now two months into her third year of medical school and was now spending weeks apart from Jake. He often complained he saw more of his work mates than he did of his girlfriend and in truth she couldn't blame him. When they did spend quality time together there was nothing better. 




"Kay, the result is in." Sue said.
"I can't look, what does it say?" Then there was an announcement over the tannoy, "Can all personnel make their way to A&E."



"Kay you’re pregnant." Just then her phone rang, "



Kirsten slow down." Kay dropped her phone and turned to Sue, "The emergency that just came in. One of them is Jake."



"Then why are you still here? Go." 


Kay ran down the hallway and asked at reception which room he was in. When she entered the room Kirsten and Andrew were already there. "What happened?" 



Kirsten looked at her and said, "Jake was rescuing someone from a fire and tripped. They got the person out but idiot here took off his mask and now has smoke inhalation and a fracture on his foot."
"I am still here you know. It's not as bad as my sister is making out." Andrew saw the worry on Kay's face and suggested to Kirsten that they left them alone. 



Once they had left Kay started hitting Jake. 



He grabbed her arms, "Kay, stop it, I'm fine." Finally she burst into tears and Jake held her, "I thought I'd lost you. The emergency call was announced then seconds later Kirsten rings me to say you are here. I started to think the worst."
"You can't get rid of me that easily," as he smiled at Kay. 
"This isn't funny Jake." she tried to get up off the bed but Jake grabbed her arm, "Babe sit down and talk to me. I haven't seen you in 2 weeks and something else is bothering you."


Kay sat down and turned away from him and said, "Just as your sister rang I'd done a pregnancy test and the result is positive. It suddenly dawned on me that I could be a single parent and it's made me realise I'm not ready so I think I should terminate the pregnancy."
Jake took a deep breath and asked, "Are you sure this is what you want?"
"I think so, I mean I have a year left in medical school and we don't have our own place yet. It's for the best." 



Jake looked at her and said, "I love you." She cuddled into him and said, "I love you too. I'll come and see you later." Jake kissed her and watched her leave.


When the door closed he lay back on the bed and started to sob uncontrollably and thought, 'This is stupid I'm not a Dad, yet the woman I love is having our baby and I'm letting her do this without telling her how I feel. Maybe she is right but we could do this, I know it.' Suddenly there was a knock at the door, Jake wiped the tears away and said, "Come in." 
His Dad entered, "How are you doing?"
"Where's Mum?"
"Kirsten wanted to talk to your Mum so rather than listen to them gossip I thought I'd come straight in. You look upset, are you ok?" Jake shrugged his shoulders and Dan said, "Well that means you're not ok. Talk to me, Jake."


"Kay came in all worried but something else was on her mind. Dad she is pregnant and has decided she is having an abortion." Dan looked at his son with concern and asked, "By your reaction I take it you feel differently?"


"Dad I love her and I think, no I know I want this baby. I know we aren't married or have a place of our own. She is in the last year of medical school then she has to do her last year training at the hospital in the field so to speak...." 


Dan said, "Slow down and breath. First of all marriage these days, you don't have to be married to have a baby. A place you can sort that out over the next few months. You have built in babysitters all round you and don't be afraid to use them. Jake you really need to tell Kay all this and soon before she terminates the pregnancy. If you need money or baby stuff, your Mum and I will help. Although knowing your Mum she'll beg you to let her help."
"Dad, please don't say anything to Mum not yet anyway."
"I won't until you have sorted things out with Kay.”



Jake smiled as Kay walked back into the room a few hours later, “How are you?” Jake just stared as he said, “I’m hurting.”
“Do you want me to get the doctor for you?” He couldn’t believe she didn’t know what he meant by he was hurting so Jake yelled at her as she got to the door, “Your hurting me.” 


Kay stopped and asked, “It’s about the pregnancy, right?” 


Kay finally turned around and saw the hurt in his eyes as she listened to Jake. He lowered his voice so it was calm, “I know you were frightened that I could have been really hurt but as you can see I’m fine. We have been through so much and I know you don’t believe it but I know we can be really good parents. I know we don’t have a place of our own but we will get one. Do you really want a termination?”
Kay looked at him and quietly said, “No I just said it because I was scared of losing you. What about medical school?” 


Jake hobbled over to her, holding her and said, “I love you Kay, you can still study as I’ll help you. The ring you saw many months ago, my feeling haven’t changed for you so will you marry me?”


Kay looked at Jake in the eye and replied, “I am really sorry for hurting you with what I said, I do want our baby. Can’t believe you finally asked me but yes I will marry you. Wow, are we really going to do this have a baby?
Jake kissed her softly, “It looks like we are.”

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad it worked out in the end, but if she didn't think she was ready for a baby, she should have been more careful IMO, they both should have. I expected better from Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val,

      I think Kay was having doubts due to panic and yes they should have been more careful but I hope you don't hate Kay. (not for long anyway)

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  2. That was a bit surprising. I didn't think they would be in that situation so fast. I am disappointed in Kay spurting out about an abortion if she didn't really want to have one done. What would she have done if Jake agreed it was for the best at that time? They are both lucky that Jake is not injured badly. I do hope Kay starts to think before reacting. She is going into a field where she has to keep her cool and be able to make decisions without a bunch of emotions popping in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zhippidy,

      Kay said those things because she was scared at what happened to Jake but she did say it without really thinking. Jake is lucky to be ok and now they have a baby on the way lets hope Kay can stop and think before speaking. As you say her career choice will need that in the long run.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  3. :D big cheesy grin

    So... he's in the hospital and his mom decides to stop and talk with his sister to gossip instead of run to her son?

    More importantly, I'm glad they're not going to kill the baby.

    ReplyDelete