Pages

Wednesday 17 April 2013

1.29 Suddenly Lost


Matt and Hazel finally arrived home and they saw Kirsten run up to them. “I’m so happy for you both. Now I need to borrow Hazel for finalising the party plans.” Matt couldn’t say anything and watched them giggle as they made their way towards the house.



Matt saw Jake on the way to his room, “I hear congrats are in order, you fool.”
“I’ll take that as a compliment coming from you.”



“We need to talk.” Following Matt to his room, “You slept with Kay, didn’t you?” Jake could see that Matt was angry, “What…no, the thing is we are dating. 



The engagement party will be our second date.” Matt listened intently as Jake continued, “I really like her, and I just hope you will be ok with it. Kay said you two are just friends…”



“We are friends, Jake. I have no siblings so I guess that is why even after all this time I’m protective of her. So don’t you dare hurt her, ok?”
“Matt even though I could kick your ass I get the message. Andrew ever hurt Kirsten I would beat the crap out of him so I get where you are coming from.”



“I thought I’d find you here.” Dan said as he sat next to his wife. “You look very beautiful today.”
Laura firmly replied in an upset tone, “Dan just stop I’ve come to a decision.” 



Dan started to shake as his stomach churned inside, “I want to move to lucky palms to be near the kids and separate from you.” Dan felt sick as he heard those words, “Laura, are you sure because I know we can work on this.” She saw the hurt in his eyes and just quietly said, “I’m sure. I found a small place here so I won’t go back with you.”



“I meant what I said everything will be yours.”
“You don’t have to Dan. I will let you know the address when I’m settled so we can sort things out. I wouldn’t want things to be bitter between us.”
“I’ll say good bye to the kids and…” 



He trailed off as he couldn’t finish his sentence. Laura watched as he walked away and felt her heart shatter into tiny pieces. She remembered when she first met Dan and how he bowled her over with his charm. Every time she looked at Jake it reminded her of how her husband looked back then. How it felt when he used to call at her parents’ house and on every date her father would grill him on his intentions towards her. They had tried several times before marriage to sleep together but they always got caught by her father who seemed to be one step ahead. Laura then laughed when she remembered Dan trying to explain how sleeping together was because they loved each other and her Dad insisting that until your wedding day you are not allowed to touch my daughter. Now after all these years they were finally separating. Laura felt empty and suddenly lost, had she made a mistake? 

Jake ran up the stairs after his Dad, “You look awful, what’s wrong?”
Daniel tried to hide his feeling, “I’m fine really. Business calls.” 



Jake wouldn’t let his Dad out and firmly said, “We are just starting to get along and you are back to lying…don’t.” 



Dan fell on the bed, “Here’s some advice for you Jake don’t let Kay down and whatever you do don’t break her heart. Your Mum wants me out, she is moving here to town.” 



His temper was getting better of him, “Do you have any idea how much I love her? I had one stupid night…it should have been with your Mum, shit I screwed up.” 



Andrew came in and asked, “Is everything ok?” Jake shook his head to Andrew. Dan then started up again, “No, everything is not ok. I’m fucked off because I messed up and my marriage is over.” Andrew wasn’t sure what to say and was about to walk out when he heard Dan say, “As for you Andrew I want you to look after my daughter.” Andrew didn’t turn around but replied, “Daniel, I will don’t worry.”



Laura saw the girls chatting away, “Hazel, congratulations you look over the moon. Kirsten told me Mathew proposed.”
“Thanks, Laura.”
“Are going to have a big or small wedding?” Hazel laughed, “We aren’t getting married yet. A few years maybe.”



“Mum and Dad have an anniversary coming up soon…” Laura interrupted Kirsten, “There isn’t going to be an anniversary Hun. I’ve decided to separate from your Dad. I know you are going to be upset but it’s for the best.” Hazel could see Kirsten and Laura needed to talk so made her excuses and left. “Mum, I saw you the other day with Dad. You looked so in love.”



“I haven’t stopped loving your Dad but the infidelity is just too painful and I need to think away from your Dad. I’m moving to this town to be closer to you and Jake. We can go shopping and…”
Kirsten was yelling with tears down her face, “Stuff the shopping, you can’t you just can’t. I know Dad has been an ass over the years but its Dad, please Mum please.”



“Kirsten please try and understand…” Kirsten interrupted her Mum, “Understand…” Trailing off then she ran from the kitchen only to see her Dad at the bottom of the stairs. 



He could see Kirsten knew and just hugged her, “Don’t hate your Mum for doing this. I’m the one that messed up not your Mum. I’ll come and visit and I’m always on the end of the phone if you need me.” Kirsten was still upset and he put her in Jake’s arms and saw Andrew, “I was hoping to get to know you better but circumstances as they are at the moment.” 



He held out his hand and Andrew took the opportunity to shake and call a truce, “You are always welcome here.”
“Thanks Andrew and if Kirsten needs anything just call me and I’ll be here. I will be here for Jake’s birthday so maybe we can have a drink then?”

7 comments:

  1. Wow, intense!
    Guess it really was too much to bear. His recent disapproval of Andrew and the infidelity made up her mind...

    I can understand Kirsten. I mean, no child wants their parents to split up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JM,

      Laura has done what she feels is right but still loves Dan and is hoping this will clear her head.

      Kirsten is extremely upset and can't understand as to why Laura is doing this.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  2. Ugh! Divorce/Separation is never easy. She wants to make it easy, I understand her wanting to do that, but it's impossible.
    It's ultimately up to Laura if she forgives Daniel for what he did to her, to the family. If she finds that she can't forgive him, or can forgive him but no longer be able to be around him, then they need to separate. It's no good pretending or 'trying harder' as people seem to think will work. Grew up with that. Parents are divorced and happier (well, once the horrid mess of the actual legislation, etc, ended).

    Jake looks shell-shocked to me, and Kirsten is actually in a better place than her brother. She needs to freak out, get it out and not hold it in because then when that's over she can go on to acceptance.
    Wow, okay I'm really getting bogged down and emotional right now.
    Good chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mypalsim,

      Daniel thought that Laura would never go down this route and hates the thought of losing her. Laura needs time to think but she still loves him and that makes it really hard. Will they divorce time will tell and can it be amicable I don't know.

      Jake is in shock as he is finally building his relationship up with his Dad and now this. Kirsten is handling it better but how they deal with it over time we shall see.

      It was an emotional chapter to write and I hope you are ok now hun and glad you liked it :)

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, I didn't expect Laura to go the divorce route. They looked like they were working things out in the last few updates. I guess looks can be deceiving. I feel so bad for Jake and Kirsten, hopefully they can work through their anger and hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val,

      Laura is very torn at the moment with all the hurt and emotion at the moment. Daniel will do anything to stop the divorce but will it be enough for Laura unfortunately she only knows the answer. Time will tell on this one.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  4. Hmm,, lots of change, again, but in another direction. It will work out. I begin to wonder if he meant say goodbye and off himself or that he really couldn't get it past the lump in his throat.

    ReplyDelete