Pages

Wednesday 20 November 2013

1.58 Let them help you

In the kitchen the girls were getting snacks and drinks ready when Kirsten asked, “When are you going to stay here again?”
“I miss you too Kirsten.”



“Well my best friend is at university and my future sister in-law isn’t here and I’m stuck with grown children.” Kay was in shock at the statement and in a panic asked, “What did you say?”
“Sorry forget I said it, please don’t take off. Jake will kill me.”
“Has he said something?”
“No it’s just the way he is with you and you are with him…I know it’s silly but I just thought you’d get married.”



Kay sat on the counter, “You know before this happened I thought of a future but now…”
“Please Kay think happy it’s the only way.”
Andrew shouted from the living room that the film was ready. Jake was upset he was resigned to a chair when all he could think about was Kay sitting on his lap while they watched a film together. Kirsten snuggled up to Andrew on the sofa and Kay took the other chair and smiled at Jake.



She noticed how comfortable Kirsten looked and thought, ‘I miss that, Jake’s arms around me. I miss the nights when he holds me so I don’t feel alone, why can’t I let him near me? I did it the other day but why not now?’
After the film had finished she told Jake to get some rest and went to her appointment.

Counselling Office



Kay looked angry and upset as she paced the floor, “Kay are you ok?”
“No, I want my life back. I want to be with my boyfriend again but why can’t I?”
“Kay, you need to let go and talk about what happened.” 



Kay sat there and decided to try and talk, “The other day you asked when? Well I was 3 or 4 years old. I was woken by a noise and there standing in front of me was him my…my…Dad, he was naked. He walked over and pulled back the covers and said we were going to play a game. I felt sick and scared but thankfully as he was getting into bed my Mum walked in and screamed at him. They started to argue and I ran. I saw my Dad in the street.”
“You mean Spencer?”
“He is my Dad, anyway I told him Mum and Dad were arguing and he took me back to the house but when Mum told him what happened…well he punched my Dad and threw him out. Next thing I knew I was at the doctors with policewoman there and my Mum.”



“Did the doctors help you?”
“I thought so until he turned up again. There now I told you will this help me.”
“It’s a start. Tell me about your boyfriend.”
“Jake, what’s there to tell…”
“You must like him or you wouldn’t be dating.”
“Well he’s Jake, did you know he nagged me into a date.”
“He is good looking?”
Kay softened her expression as she let a smile across her face, “Very good looking and boy can he kiss.”
“Didn’t you tell me he was a firefighter?”
Kay nodded and the professor added, “Does it bother you?”
“Sometimes but I can’t ask him to quit. I mean we’ve only been going out about 6 weeks.”
“Does he know what happened?”
“I told him about when I was younger and he knows about this too except…” Kay fell silent and the professor spoke, “Except this is what is causing the conflict within you? The man you have fallen for is now the one you are pushing away yet you want to let him near you.”



Kay looked at the floor as she continued, “You know it is all up to you. If he loves you then he will wait but remember he might not wait forever.”
“What do you mean?”
“I mean he won’t wait years but that doesn’t mean he will expect you to have sex straight away either. You need to open up here with Jake and the others in your life you need to decide can you trust them and take it day by day. With your boyfriend for example let him hold your hand or cuddle you to start and move on from there but it has to be when you are ready and with no pressure on you. Remember the key here is to talk to him and if you love him don’t shut him out.”
“Everyone has said that.”
“It sounds like you have good family and friends.”
“I do.”
“Then let them help you.”

8 comments:

  1. I really thought that Kay's memory would have been of something worse than it is. I imagine it's disturbing to wake up to your naked Dad standing near you, but I don't think that the implications of that and his words would have detrimentally impacted a 3 or 4 year old. It's only now that she's older that she puts the two together as something wrong. What else is going on in her head that is causing her to think that she can't stand to be with a man?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zhippidy,

      I think putting 2 and 2 together and realizing the man that was Dad could do this to her. I think it has frightened her and she is afraid to let go.
      Hopefully things will improve though.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  2. I don't know what to say. My heart is just so sore for Kay and what her father did to her. I don't think you ever get over something like that, but I do hope she can find peace and some closure and healing. On a more positive note, I'm happy she seems to be making progress in therapy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val,

      Kay is hurting right now and needs time to heal and pull through. At least she is starting to open up in therapy. Hopefully she will be back to herself soon.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with Zhippidy. Yes, what happened was bad, but toddlers don't view nudity the way adults do. I think her parents screaming at each other being more frightening to a 3 or 4 year old. Now, if her dad had gotten his way... *shudders* What a sick f----er he is.

    I hope she can get past this. She needs to move on, and the only way that's going to happen is if she bucks up and decides she wants to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mypal,

      Some toddlers can sense it is wrong but they won't know why until they are older and put the pieces together. Her father has alot to answer for but lets hope she sees that she has a good life now and it is worth fighting for.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  4. ~ Is this something that happened more than once?
    ~ She is traumatized, & that is only natural,for anyone of any age!
    ~ I am so glad she has friends that love her & only wants the best for her,as having no close family(mother is dead!) to turn too, the only other family she has know growing up,to support her & they are there for her!
    ~ A sensitive subject,handled well! (",)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karima,

      It will be up to Kay if she admits that it happened more than once but could she face that if it did. Spencer and Matt are her family and they will support her all the way. I'm glad you found it was handled well.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete