Pages

Wednesday 5 February 2014

1.67 Lonely

As Kirsten woke up she glanced at the empty side next to her. She ran her hand across the sheet but there was no warmth it was cold as ice. 


It really was true Andrew was called up to go somewhere, destination unknown at this stage. She had hoped that when she had opened her eyes he would be next to her with that smile staring back at her. 


She went through the normal routine of getting washed and dressed but her heart was still aching for Andrew to come home. When she made the breakfast she almost broke down as she had made it for two.


Kirsten went to the mail box and checked to see if there was any letter from Andrew but there was nothing and thought, ‘ Yeah, there is really going to be a letter in here less than 24 hours after he left. Kirsten get a hold of yourself.’


She went to the park to think, swinging on the swing, ‘We want the wedding at home, Mum and Dad are back on holiday, I need to plan this wedding but I can’t do it on my own. It’s going to be a disaster.’


She wandered back to the house and when the phone rang she jumped. She answered it in the hope it was Andrew but it wasn’t, “Hello can I speak with Kirsten Decker please.”
“Hi I’m Kirsten Decker.”
“You emailed us about catering for your wedding.” Kirsten was disappointed it wasn’t Andrew but she wanted a distraction and planning the wedding was it, “Yes we want the wedding at home in our garden. We were thinking of a buffet style so the guest could help themselves.”


“I have done a few weddings for the home, what style of buffet were you looking for?”
“A simple but elegant buffet…”
“You mean a bit more up market than just ordinary party food.” Kirsten with a smile in her voice said, “Yes that’s it.”
“I can come and see you and your fiancĂ©…ummm tomorrow if that is convenient?” Kirsten’s heart sunk again and quietly replied, “He’s been called up so I’m dealing with all the arrangements.”
“Not to worry, do want to book an appointment?” Kirsten thought for a moment and replied, “Yes, would tomorrow be ok?”
“Say at 2pm.”
“I’ll see you then, sorry your name is?”
“David Brown.” 


Kirsten hung up the call when she heard, “Need any help?” When Kirsten looked up from her phone she saw Hazel and pulled her into a hug, “I’m so glad you are back. Where is Matt?”
“He took the case to our rooms. Have you heard from Andy?” Kirsten shook her head and replied, “Not yet. Do you think…?”


“Kirst, he will be home soon.” Kirsten smiled at Hazel and asked, “You will be here tomorrow when the caterer comes?”
“Of course I will be. Do you have any ideas on what you want?”
“It’s going to be a small wedding I don’t think the guest list will pass 50 guests. Talking of wedding have you told your Mum you are engaged?”
Hazel looked away then said, “No.” 


Matt had been there a few minutes and asked, “Why?” Hazel jumped and replied, “My Mum isn’t fond of weddings,” 


She moved closer to Matt and put her arms around him and continued, “In fact she’d rather I marry a dirty old man who has money move on to the next one after the guy has died.”  


Matt was in shock and heard Kirsten say, “It’s true, I met her Mum once and she would so disapprove of you.”
Matt looked at Hazel and suggested, “We will tell her after we are married then.” Hazel giggled and Kirsten replied, “Go get a room.” 


Hazel kissed Matt and with a step in her voice said to Kirsten, “Sorry it’s just…”
“Don’t be sorry I’m just glad you are friends again.” After they left Kirsten, she thought long and hard and rang Andrew, “Hay Babe, you ok?”


“When are you coming home?”
“I miss you too but it will be awhile.”
“Andy I’ve been thinking and if you aren’t coming home till the wedding then I see no point taking the pill every day. How would you feel if I stopped taking it?”
“What if I had leave?”
“I know but can’t we just forget the pill.”


“Kirst, I know what you’re thinking but please stay on it for a while longer. On the way to the base I booked the honeymoon but where we are going is a surprise.” Kirsten smiled and replied, “Where we are going better be very private and isolated.”
Andrew laughed, “Am I going to get sleep on this honeymoon?”
“No and don’t expect any.”

6 comments:

  1. Kirsten has babies on the mind? I hope she doesn't do anything foolish. But these girls all seem to be really clingy sometimes and don't think clearly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zhippidy,

      I think the only reason babies are on her mind is because of Andrew's departure, in reality I don't think Kirsten would do anything silly. I just think it was the thought he may never come back and wanting something of him left behind but I think she needs to trust Andrew that he will come home.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  2. Poor Kirsten. It's hardly been a day, and she's going stir crazy.
    Hazel's mom sounds like a real piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mypal,

      Kirsten is missing Andrew alot hopefully it will get easier as the days go by. Hazel loves her Mum but doesn't want her to meet Matt and you can see why. Hopefully she never shows up :)

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  3. I'm with Fae on this, Kirsten should really wait, they need to enjoy their time as newlyweds before bringing a baby along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val,

      I do think Kirsten will wait but she is just missing Andrew and is letting her emotions take over.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete