Pages

Wednesday 25 June 2014

1.83 Unreasonable

Matt had agreed to meet Zoe in the hope that they could find a middle ground and get on for Hazel’s sake.


Matt had assured Hazel that there was nothing to worry about but she wasn’t buying it because she didn’t trust her mother.


Matt stood up when he saw Zoe and gestured her to take a seat, he asked if she wanted a drink but she declined. “Mathew, thank you for meeting me and I know you will agree with me that we have Hazel’s best interests at heart.” Matt studied her for a moment and thought, ‘I do but I’m not sure about your intentions but I will try and keep an open mind.’


“Zoe, what do you mean?”
“Well I see that she loves you very much so here is my deal, I’ll give you $1000 now and the same each month for the next two years if you break off your engagement.” Matt rested his hand over the envelope and continued to stare at her. Zoe smiled at first until Matt slid it back to her. He stood up and said coldly, “If I wasn’t a gentleman; I’d punch you right now. What the hell gives you the right to ask me to break things off with your daughter when you know I adore her? I love her and we may have had our differences and yes she drives me nuts occasionally but at the end of the day I will marry her with or without your permission.”
Zoe stood and faced him and retorted, “So that’s a no to the money then? I can always say you slept with another girl, I mean I could have seen you.”


“How could you…” Zoe turned to see her daughter standing there full of anger and hate, “I’m your daughter and you would rather lie to me and see me miserable than happy?”
“Sweetheart…”
“No sweetheart, baby or cutzie pie, we are done. Matt tried to show you he is the better person here but clearly you have serious issues.” 


Matt could see she was visibly shaken and went over to Hazel and stroked her cheek, “Babe, I’m proud of you but let’s go home.” Hazel looked at him with tears in her eyes and said, “Matt I love you but I don’t want to marry you next year.” Matt heard those words and felt like his world was collapsing. He turned away and said, “Why what did I ever do to you but love you…” 


She wrapped her arms around him and said, “I’m not breaking up with you but if you’d let me finish I was going to say I don’t want to marry next year but I want to marry now.”
“What!” 


She turned briefly to her mother and said, “Are you still here?” When she turned back to Matt he looked into her eyes and said, “You wanted, no we wanted a big wedding?”
“I still do but with Mum trying to separate us, others trying to tell us when we can get married, today is good a day as any to become your wife.”


Matt embraced her tightly and whispered, “You are crazy but that’s why I love you.” He grabbed her by the hand when Zoe said, “I won’t let you marry her.” Matt turned back and firmly said, “Hazel made her choice and wants me, so get used to it.”


“I will stop this wedding.” Hazel almost in tears asked, “Why won’t you let me be happy?”
“He isn’t right for you, now come with me and I’ll show you the world and introduce you to men that are more suitable.” Hazel looked at Matt then at her mother and in a calm voice, “Mum I am marrying Matt…”
“Hazel you aren’t even 21 years old yet and until then you need a parent’s permission.” 


Hazel couldn’t breathe but Matt stroked her hair and whispered softly in her ear then said to Zoe, “Here in the really world you have to be under 18 years to have parents consent and since we are both over that age we don’t need you or my parents’ permission to get married.”


When they were finally alone, Matt asked, “Are you sure about getting married now?” Hazel smiled, “I am, why?” Matt cupped her face and said, “Your Mum is driving me nuts and I want us as far away from her as possible. Let’s go back to university now.”
“It’s the holidays…”
“So we can stay in our room in the dormitory and we won’t be disturbed.” Hazel grinned as she asked sweetly, “What about us getting married?”
“We will talk about it in the car but let’s go now before we have another visit from your Mum.” 


Once they were in the car safely on the road, Matt said, “Haz, about us getting married straight away, do you still want too?” Hazel put her hand on his knee and faced him while he kept his eyes on the road, “I meant what I said; I would love to marry you today.” Matt touched her hand then squeezing it tightly he turned left at the junction and Hazel said, “Matt the university is the other way.”


“We are not going to university; we have to make a stop first.” Hazel was in shock but trusted Matt to just go with the flow and squeezed his hand back to let him know she was ok with the detour.

9 comments:

  1. *SQUEE!!!* YAY YAY YAY!!! Does the exclaim how happy I am for Hazel and Matt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *SQUEE!!!* YAY YAY YAY!!! Does the exclaim how happy I am for Hazel and Matt!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivorybutterfly,

      LOL yes it looks like she has pushed the marriage thing even closer.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  3. Wow Hazels' mom is a real piece of work! Glad that Hazel and Matt both stood up to her. But I wonder if it's such a good idea to get married now just because of her. Hope it works out for them.

    By the way took me a couple of weeks to read the whole thing from the beginning and absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dandy,

      Zoe is a piece of work but they have been together awhile so would it be a bad think, we will see.

      Glad you love it :)

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  4. I think Hazel's mom needs some serious therapy, 1 or 2 hours on a therapist couch is just not going to do it. Good luck to Matt and Hazel, they are going to need it with that crazy woman in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val,

      She is crazy and therapy is needed. I hope Matt can stomach her in their lives.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  5. Matthew really got the prize with that mother-in-law to be. Wow. haha
    Hazel grew up with that? Scary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all... the horse in the first pic cracked me up. And Matt's just sitting there like it's nothing.

    Ugh. the second I saw that woman, I knew she'd offer money.
    Marry now? WOW!
    "Are you still here?" LMAO!
    *sings wedding march song* Da dat da da! :)

    ReplyDelete