Pages

Wednesday 15 May 2013

1.32 Who is the Dad?



Hazel lay on her bed wondering what to do. Mathew was her dream man and now this one night stand was claiming that the baby she was carrying was his. Now all she could think about looking at her stomach; that there should be a baby in there. Mathew hadn’t cheated on her but the pain she felt was horrible. She then looked at her engagement ring, should she give it back and call the whole thing off? Hazel decided to get some fresh air to clear her head.



“Kay I need to speak to her.” Matt shouted at her.
“She doesn’t want to speak to you.” 



Mathew fell to the floor, “I love her, Kay. She must know that. It’s not my baby, I swear to you it isn’t.”
“Have you contacted Spencer yet?” Matt shook his head and replied, “What can Dad do? He’ll only say I told you so.”
“I shouldn’t tell you this but Jake and Andrew phoned Estevan but they got your Aunt Heather.” Matt was too distraught to argue about them contacting his family and said, “Maybe if I suggest Hazel and I get married now, you know show her that’s it’s her I want.”
Kay firmly said, “Have you listened to yourself, Matt. I know you want to fix things with Hazel but right now you need to give Hazel time and evidence that this baby isn’t yours.” 
“You believe me, right?” Kay looked at Matt and softly replied, “Always, you are my family now.”



“Kay why are you really here? I mean why did Dad bring you here?”
“As you know it was Mum and me since forever. Well a few years after you moved away Mum became ill and two months ago she died.”
“Kay I didn’t know I’m sorry.”
“It’s ok, anyway I found an old number and it had your Dad name against it so I rang it as I had no one to turn too. When a man answered I shyly asked who it was and when he said Spencer I felt relief wash over me. He said he was coming to see you but stop by to get me out of there and a fresh start and I was offered a gig here so I came.”
“What about your house and stuff?”
“Mum put in the will that Spencer was to be executor for her estate so lucky it was his number. Anyway it’s all in trust for me till I’m 25 years old but I can some if it’s for education. How did we get on about me when you have a problem?”
“You were distracting me.”
“At least you have a smile now.”



Hazel sat down and thought, ‘How could she do this? I’ve slept with him more times and I’m not pregnant but then I take the pill.’  She said out loud, “That bitch.” A woman sat next to her and asked, “Excuse me but are you ok?”
“My life is falling apart but I’m fine.” Hazel broke eye contact and was then asked, “Do you want to talk?”
“Thanks but I’ll be ok, I think.”



“I need to find a woman named Hazel Chase; do you know where I could find her?” Hazel looked surprised, “I’m Hazel Chase and you are?”
“Tracy…” Then she stopped talking. Hazel then said, “You know my surname so what’s yours?”
“My surname is Stone.” Hazel was puzzled at this woman not being forth coming with her name but instead she asked, “Why do you want to see me?”
“Someone contacted me about Mathew’s situation and asked if I could help.” Hazel looked at her stunned, “My private life is just that, how did you find out and how possibly can you help?”
“Look it’s not important who contacted me. All you need to know is people care about Mathew as I do.”



Hazel got up and in temper demanded, “Who the hell are you and why would you care about Matt?”
Tracy could see Hazel was upset and really wanted to tell her who she was but knew if she did then Mathew would want to see her and the last thing she wanted to do was upset Mathew. “Who I am is not important but I know who the father of the baby is.” Hazel sat back down and quietly asked, “Don’t you need a paternity test?”
“You do.”
“Did Mathew take the test?”
“No he didn’t as there are ways around it.” Hazel needed to know the answers and firmly asked, “How would there be a way around it?”
“If a close family member gave a blood sample.”



“Who gave the blood sample?”
“Hazel, do you want to know if Mathew is the Dad or not?” Hazel needed that answer more than anything but still wanted to know who would give the blood sample. She decided for now the burning desire to know if Matt was going to be a Dad was the most important issue right now.
“I do…no I need to know as I love him very much. I’m starting to think about having a baby now because of this.”
“Hazel don’t have a baby for the wrong reasons. When the time is right you and Mathew will have a baby.”
Hazel started to speak softly, “That’s if we have a future.”



Jake was fixing the fire engine when Avery appeared, “How are the repairs going?”
“Almost done.” Jake then closed the lid and went outside to join Avery. “Sorry about the other night at the engagement party.”



“Why are you sorry? It was Debbie that caused the trouble.”
Avery looked upset and replied, “Debbie is my girlfriend and the baby is mine.” Jake now was shocked, “You and Debbie? Since when and why didn’t you say anything until now?”



“It was a bit fun at first with Debs but just before she became pregnant I fell for her. However she seems to still think I’m not serious about her and so went hunting for your mate, Matt. She wants security and still thinks of me as a player. I love her and I want us to be a family. I wish she would believe me. Please tell Hazel that the baby is mine.”
“Shit, Av of all the woman you could of settled with…Debbie! I’ll tell them both and thank you. Good luck with Debbie and I hope you can convince her that you love her and the baby.”
“I hope I can make her see sense.”



It felt like an eternity waiting for the answer that Hazel needed to know but Tracy finally gave her the answer, “Mathew is not the father of Debbie’s baby. I can’t tell you who is but for your peace of mind you now know the truth.”
Hazel started to cry in relief. “Hazel, it’s ok.” Hazel looked at Tracy and simply said, “Thank you Tracy, thank you.”



“You look shook up by what has happened, would you like me to see you home?” Hazel shook her head then replied, “I live over there,” pointing to the house and Tracy was now in shock, “Wow, is that your house?” Hazel laughed, “No it belongs to a friend of mine Andrew. It’s too big for him so a group of us house share, one of them being his girlfriend, Kirsten. The problem is that is how I met Matt because he came to live with us. His Dad brought Matt’s old school friend to stay so she is the newest one. Sorry I don’t know why I told you all that.”
Tracy smiled back, “It’s ok. I’m just glad I could help. What was Mathew’s friend’s name?”
“Oh Kay, Kay Lace I think is her surname but not sure. Anyway thank you for all your help. I should get back.” Tracy watched Hazel go towards the house then looked at her watch and realized she was late for work. She wanted to see her son but knew now was not the time. On her day off she would try and get a glimpse of Mathew to make sure he was ok.



Hazel walked into her room to find Matt sitting on her bed, “Baby, please let me explain.” Hazel just froze on the spot and replied, “Get out!” 
Matt jumped off the bed as Hazel turned her back on him, “Haz, I love you. I’ll do whatever it takes to make this right.” 



She turned to him and said, “How will you do that?”
“Meet me tomorrow and we will get married straight away.” Hazel wasn’t sure what to think and replied, “How will it make everything go away? Debbie says you are the father.”
“Baby, I swear on my own life I’m not the father of the baby.”
“I won’t marry you tomorrow do you hear me? I want a nice wedding with friends and family.” Matt picked up on what she just said and asked cautiously, “So we are still together?”
“Yes...A woman approached me in the park and said you were not the father and that I had a right to know.” Matt almost jumped up and down with joy at this news and asked, “So you believe me? What was the woman’s name as I’d like to thank her?”



“I believe you now but you are not out of hot water yet as we have a lot to discuss. The lady name was Tracy Stone. She works at Lucky Palm hospital.” Matt face changed and he firmly said, “What was her name?”
“I just told you, Tracy Stone.” 



Matt sat back down and he went pale as he said, “Tracy Stone is my Mum.” Hazel asked naively, “I thought your Mum had the surname Dark?”
“My parents never married. Shit that could explain why Dad is coming down.” He suddenly got up and said, “I need to see her.”



Matt made his way to the hospital and found her at the reception desk. When she looked up and saw him, Tracy instantly knew who he was and Heather was correct, he was Spencer with dark hair. 



She showed him into the back room waiting for the explosion, “So it was you that told Hazel that I wasn’t the father?”
“Yes it was. I wanted to help. She is very nice…”



“Cut the crap, where the hell have you been for the last ten years of my life? Why do you suddenly care now and not then?”
“Sweetheart you have to understand…” Matt wasn’t interested in explanations and cut her off. “Don’t call me sweetheart as I’m not that naïve little boy anymore.”
“I’m sorry Mathew…” He cut her off again, “Stay away from me and stay the hell away from Hazel.” 



As Matt was about to open the door he said, “Thanks for your help. Hazel believes me now.” 

5 comments:

  1. I get why Matt is angry, but I also think he could've been a tiny bit happy to see her. She's still his mum at the end of the day. Still, she Did just up and leave. ugh. Now I don't know what to think.

    I thought that was more than a tad creepy when she walked up to Hazel in the park and started talking about her personal life. I think I would've looked askance at her and ran for the hills LOL. I wouldn't take some stranger's word for it, I'd want to see paperwork proving it, but that's just me I guess.

    and the plot thickens....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mypal,

      Matt has mixed feelings about his Mum showing up after all this time. I think when he calms down he will speak to her. She wanted to make sure it was Hazel first, it did look creepy, I guess.
      Hazel knows deep down the baby wasn't his and a stranger just telling her what she already knew was what she needed to hear. When Matt confirms to Hazel that it was his Mum she saw then paperwork won't be needed.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  2. Matt really lost it with his mom. I can't say I blame him though, if my mom left and suddenly walked back into my life I'd be fuming too. Still, the fact that Tracy came through for him and cleared up the mess with the baby is proof enough that she still cares about him, and she deserves a chance or at least ten minutes to explain herself.

    Hazel is very trusting to open up to a total stranger like that, I get that Tracy is Matt's mom, but I sure as hell would not have revealed so much to her so soon. Just a thought, maybe Hazel can be the bridge between Matt and his mom, help open the lines of communication between them.

    I don't get Debbie at all. Avery was pretty calm there, I'd be fuming if my baby mama tried to pass my baby off as some other man's child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val,

      I don't blame Matt either but I hope he sorts things out with her. When Tracy knew the situation she did what any mother would do and help him. I hope he gives her time to explain too.

      Hazel was a little too trusting but she wasn't thinking clearly either. Matt might listen to Hazel when it comes to his Mum.

      Debbie is after money and lots of it. Now she is having a baby she wants a good life and believes very can't do that. Avery was just talking calmly to Jake but he's already had a go at Debbie for this. I think he will be a good Dad.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  3. Resolve one thing and another issue develops. I am a little sorry to see Mathew didn't give his mother a bit more time or understanding. Ah well.

    I feel bad for Avery. Does Demon Debbie die soon?

    ReplyDelete